Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Student Travelers

Student Traveler FAQs



I am a female student traveling alone. Any advice?

It is not at all uncommon to see a woman travelling alone in Greece and the Embassy is not aware of any crime that could be attributed to the fact that the traveler was alone and female.  The same safety precautions you would take in any tourist destination should be practiced here in Greece, whether in a large city or on an island.  Plan ahead.  Rather than take out a map on the street, take a few minutes to map out your course before leaving your hotel.  There is something to be said for not “looking” vulnerable.  Don’t wear clothes or jewelry that would attract attention.  Do not go for drinks with someone you do not know.  If you do, buy your own drink and never leave it unattended.  Chose a hotel with a 24-hour desk clerk or concierge or that requires a key for the outside door.  Let your hotel know where you are going and when you plan to return.  Rent a local cell phone, if you can.  Stay in touch with friends and family and register with STEP.  Want more?  Check out the Crime and Safety section of our Country Specific Information.   

I am an adult male Greek dual citizen living in America and I never fulfilled my military obligation. What happens when I go back to Greece for a vacation?

 Greek males have to register with the Greek military when they turn eighteen and serve their military term about two years later.  If they go to college, they can ask for a postponement of their military services until they complete their studies.  

If you haven’t done any of the above, Greece will likely consider you eligible to serve in their military.  However, a 2004 Greek law allows you to travel and stay in Greece for a maximum of 30 days within a calendar year.

For detailed information concerning your particular situation, you may contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in the United States, or visit the military website at: or

I am coming to Greece for the summer for a few months and I want to work while I am here. How can I do this legally?

Work permits are granted to foreigners who live abroad only in those cases where there are not enough local residents to cover vacancies. Every year the Greek Manpower Office (OAED) notifies Greek diplomatic missions and employment agencies abroad about current manpower needs and vacancies that may be filled by foreigners.  For information about applying for a work permit, please visit our Embassy webpage:  

What happens if the police catch me with drugs while I’m on vacation?  

Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Greece are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. While you are traveling in Greece, you are a subject to its laws, even if you are a U.S. citizen.  Just Say NO! 


I hear that the islands have lots of ATVs and mopeds and I am super excited about driving one!

First, make sure you have an International Drivers Permit (IDP). Second, follow all traffic rules and WEAR A HELMET! The law in Greece requires you to. You may see Greeks “wearing” theirs on the arm, but do not be tempted to follow their example.  Most study abroad programs here in Greece do not allow their students to rent ATVs or motor bikes.